Bigger issues than ART
What do I do for a student who has so many things going on that when he comes to art there always seems to be some issue that is preventing him from functioning in art class. For every lesson, not matter what it is, unless it's free draw, this student has major anxiety about what the assignment is. And this anxiety is always compounded on top of another issue, like there is a sub in for the classroom teacher, and this sub "doesn't understand" this student so class time is stressful, and this stress carries over to art time. I try to calm this student down, and I work wit him alot, and I allow him to go to the resource room next door to relax a bit, but it happens every class. The thing that I'm not sure about is whether I should just let him do his own thing each project, or if I should really push him to try something new. He's told me he can't draw from memory, or imagination, He doesn't like to color things in, especially with colored pencils. He definately doesn't like to draw from observation, and he didn't collage anything when they made the folders. The only thing he draws are these action drawings that are "a hand drawn video game". In these drawings there are lots of lines, and colors, but it doesn't look like anything really. It's almost like he's drawing the motion of the objects instead of the objects, if that makes sense. I don't mind helping him, but I can't work with him the whole class because the other students have questions and need help too. Perhaps I'll email Jess about this student and find out what he did last year. I just want to feel like he's making some progress, or at least trying to. He's very quick to tell me he can't do something with out even trying.


1 Comments:
I felt I could just write this little side note in the comment section....
The student that I was having trouble with has been working much better. In one project we worked together. I did the things I knew would be causing him stress, and slowly he came around and started doing those steps as well. It worked nicely, even though it didn't give me that much time to focus on the rest of the class. He usually takes breaks after working for 15 mins, so that gives me time to check on the rest of the class.
In another class he was really stressing about the new project, which I knew he would. I was tough on him, telling him he didn't have a choice about whether or not he was going to try to do a contour drawing. After a little discussion about it, he finally tried, which was all I was asking for. He told me it came out surprisingly better then he would have hoped, which I knew would be the case. He took a break after drawing his hand, but this week should be better. Hopefully he didn't forget over the break that I was right about his ability to create a contour drawing.
Post a Comment
<< Home