Monday, November 15

What a way to end the day

Today was going so well until my last class. Not that my last class ruined it, but it did put a damper on my day. Things were going so well all day, everything was just moving really smoothely, and I felt really comfortable. My last class came in, which is first grade on monday, and their classroom teacher informed me that one student was absent, so it should be a bit quieter. I should have known at that point that it wasn't going to be at all. It was as if the students ganged up and decided they just weren't going to listen to me, and weren't going to be bothered when they were supposed to listen to me. I understand when a class won't settle down at some points, but I probably waited 15 minutes total during the 45 minute class for the students to quiet down enough for me to give them directions. I was astounded when I would ask students by name to please stop talking so I could give them directions, and they would just keep on talking. This first grade class can be a handful at some times, so I'm not surprised that it happened with this class, I was just disappointed that it happened after I had such a nice morning. Maybe I'll have to start the next few classes really reiterating to them the correct behavior in class, and maybe I'll have to start pulling out stickers to reward those who have the correct behavior for the majority of class. I just don't want to have to harp so much on the negative behavior. I also think that maybe they are making a disconnection between regular class and art class. They aren't thinking that they need to have the same behaviors in art that they have in their classroom. I think I will definately start next weeks class going over the correct behaviors.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home