Thursday, January 27

Finally back to school

Well today was unfortunately a short work week. Monday was a snow day, Tuesday is always a day off, and Wednesday was a "sick" day. I tried to get to work, but was unsuccessful. My car was slipping all over the place. If I had written in my online journal yesterday I would have written about how terrible I felt for missing school, but now I feel better about it. There was really nothing I could do about the situation, but I still felt bad for not being able to get to school.
Classes went well today, though my desk area was filled with students work from Tuesday and Wednesday. This afternoon I spent most of my free time organizing the students work and getting it back to the classroom teachers so they could pass it back. I either always forget to give the work to the students when they are in my classroom, or I just don't have time to take out of what we are working on to pass it back. I'm pretty sure the classroom teachers don't mind. I'm sure they have more time when the students are working on their own where the work can easily be passed out. I'm just so limited for time that I can't sacrifice it so I can pass back work.

I was asked by the Conant PTO to have each of my art classes create a piece for the "Auction". I just got the email yesterday, and I replied to it, inquiring about what exactly went into this "auction" as I hadn't really been informed about it. It was made out like this was something that is done every year, and that even though each class will be making something in their classrooms, that I should have the students do something in art as well. I guess I'm supposed to have each class work on one thing together that is then auctioned off. This seems fine and dandy, if I had been informed about it a bit earlier, like the beginning of the year. I spoke with Anne about it, and she said that I shouldn't worry about it at all. It's alot to take on, even if I wasn't a first year. I've realized that she's right. I don't have the parental support that another teacher might have, and I also don't have the planning time to get it executed. It's not something that can be whipped out in a class period without any prep. I just don't have that time, and I also have many more important things to do. So I'm going to regretfully decline the auction. I feel bad that I'm not able to help the PTO raise more money for the school, but it is a choice of mine. I have to remember to send an email to Jess to ask her about this exactly, and then send one to the women who contacted me. The way the email was written it made it seem like I had to participate in this auction. Luckily Anne told me that I didn't have to. It's nice to have someone who will "go to bat for you".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home